Sunday, September 9, 2012

Day 8: Obedience Is Not Enough (fix your face)

I'm one of those people who often wear my emotions on my face. It's not that my expression says what I'm thinking as much as I've been told that my eyes truly do serve as windows to my soul and tell all. As a result, I find myself having to tell myself to "fix my face" and adjust my attitude to reflect good and not otherwise. There are things that I've heard the Lord say to me that I've done or embraced somewhat begrudgingly. My obedience is often tainted by my "I'll do it but I don't have to like it" kind of air to it. Perhaps it's just me, but I've willingly moved forward in what God has said but can say that it hasn't always been with the joy that I would hope things of the Lord would bring to a person's heart.

So conviction poured over me as I read Proverbs 8 over and over again today. With various phrases and verses jumping out, there was one that seemed to resonate the loudest. Verse 33 links blessings to "Hear instruction and be wise, and do not disdain it." As I meditated further on it, I realized that my attitude in in this faith walk has been a lot like the children of Israel who were delivered from bondage but who blocked their own blessings by grumbling. The end result for them was 40 years in the desert until all of the grumblers had died--never seeing the promise made manifest in their lives.

In a day and time when much of what we preach and/or hear preached is about claiming your promises, it's difficult to imagine that maybe, just maybe, you could grumble your way out of it. We think that if we do it, if we follow God, then that's enough. It's almost like we arrogantly think that God should be happy with whatever offering of obedience that we give him. But what I'm further convicted about is that obedience is not enough. At the end of the day, God desires for our hearts to line up with His and not just our actions. This means that we are to consciously decide to approach the wisdom, understanding and instruction that He provides us without disdain (disdain: contempt, scorn, haughtiness, arrogance, superiority). It may be hard to do, but in the end it really boils down to one thing--fix your face. (I know I'll be fixing mine.)

Be encouraged to approach God with the right attitude.

Blessings,
MinD

No comments:

Post a Comment