Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 4: Watch Your Mouth


This evening, I had a late dinner with a friend. We spent a lot of time talking and left having worked through several issues. As we were leaving, the server/cashier proceeds to speak to me (totally from God) about there being a time to be silent and being careful about the words that come out of my mouth. He hadn't been hovering over our table or anything like that, but he was right on point and could only have been led of the Lord. And I listened and thanked him for the Word he had given--receiving every word in prayer.

I came home to finish my reading of Proverbs 4 to see that same message reiterated. Verse 24 says, “Put away from you a deceitful mouth, and put perverse lips far from you.”

That word "perverse" jumped out at me. As we strive to operate fully in God’s wisdom, it is important to know when to speak and when to be silent. I looked up that word “perverse” and was struck that it means “willfully determined or disposed to go counter to what is expected or desired; contrary.” (www.dictionary.com) Out of a desire to be right, heard or validated, there are times when we don’t always use wisdom in choosing when to speak and when to stop and listen. This is true for me at times and perhaps it’s true for you.

My prayer today is that you and I both learn to listen intently to the Holy Spirit and speak only when He gives us that holy unction and choose silence as He continues a work in us.

Be encouraged in your silence.

Blessings,
MinD

No comments:

Post a Comment