Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 1: Not Making Sense

I think that I would like to say that I'm becoming wise and seeking understanding. Time has a way of doing that to just about anyone who is willing to listen and learn from their life. You will, prayerfully, learn wisdom with each experience and gain understanding about life as a result. But the truth of the matter is that we don't always make sense. In fact, where God is leading compared to our circumstance can even be laughable at times.

But it's important to remember that the mere function of faith is that it doesn't make sense. Hebrews tells us that faith is about what you can't see and not what is clear. The pit we often fall into as Christians is wanting to live in spaces of clarity when faith has called us to see with some degree of blurred vision--we are called to live in the midst of a riddle. You may hear from God what He's going to do in the future but the how, what, when, where and who of the equation are often evasive--creating a filter that simply blurs that ultimate vision. What's more, trying to make sense out of our callings and our dreams to other people can be an even greater challenge and can leave them mocking us with disbelief.

"A wise man will hear and increase learning, And a man of 
understanding will attain wise counsel, To understand a proverb and an enigma, 
The words of the wise and their riddles."
Proverbs 1:5-6


As I read Proverbs 1, verse 6 jumped out as it said "the words of the wise and their riddles". The fact that there are things in life that God calls "riddles" reminds me that what I'm doing and where I'm going doesn't always have to make sense to others. What may look crazy and seem ludicrous to those watching me live out this life is merely a riddle of the wise. And so I wanted to encourage you today to live life in line with what God is saying to you and not what makes sense to the human mind. With godly and wise counsel, walk with courage today knowing that the things of the Spirit often confound (I like that word) those who are disconnected from our vision and from the Spirit of the Lord. When people say that your faith is not making sense, simply laugh with the knowledge that to them  it's a riddle while to God it's reality.

Keep living & Be encouraged,
MinD

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Wow! What a timely,timely word!
    "What may look crazy and seem ludicrous to those watching me live out this life is merely a riddle of the wise." Yes, yes, yes!! Since I have decided to walk in what God called me to do without turning back I'm hearing the "Are you lost? What's going on with you? Get a job. You should do a, b, c. Hope that works out for you., etc" I am determined to press even when it doesn't make sense! Thank you so much for the encouragement!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete