Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 11: Influence Now

I was listening to a preacher doing a series on boldness and he was speaking specifically about prayer today. He asked a poignant question: "What would be changed in the world if the prayers you prayed last week were answered?" For most of us, that answer would be pretty self-centered and/or would affect someone who we knew directly. His point was that we need to be bolder in our prayers. So it seemed like further confirmation as I was re-reading today's proverb to see the following:

"By the blessing of the influence of the 
upright and God's favor [because of them] 
the city is exalted..."
Proverbs 11:11a (AMP)

For years, I've heard people preach about Christians being the salt of the earth and talking about the scripture that challenges us to "flavor" up the world around us (Matthew 5:13). But, even in that, I know that I have thought small. Today, my prayer changed to a bolder prayer in which I want hundreds and thousands of lives to be influenced because of little 'ole me! I want to look back on my life and see that my impact was for cities upon cities and not just my own family and friends. I want to hear God say "well done." I want to see that God's glory extended beyond the four walls I call home to the four ends of the earth. I have taken very seriously the idea that we are to BE the church and that Acts 1:8 calls us to affect people on various levels of life--from those nearest to us and like us to those farthest away and different. But that starts with each day. That starts with even changing my prayers. Today, what are YOU praying for that will influence the world when God answers it? I challenge you to make a shift in your thinking. You are your brother's keeper...even if that brother is around the world.

Selah...and be encouraged!
Blessings,
MinD

No comments:

Post a Comment