Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 23: Don't Waste Your Breath

I have a teenage friend who knows just about everything there is to know...or so she thinks. Talking to them can be frustrating at times because you can't tell them anything. I'm sure I was like that at their age (and much like that even today). "Stubborn" is a characteristic that I've been marked with, and so I recognize it so easily in others. Stubbornness aside, I do not like to debate. So, as I have interacted with my teenage friend, I have to admit that I've found them to be a good example of using wisdom in knowing when to argue and when to simply let it go. You see, knowing that a conversation will likely be an uphill battle with them, I rarely spend a lot of energy trying to convince them. You know what I'm talking about. We've all got a few people in our lives who simply like to debate and like to push our buttons while doing it. At the end of the conversation, you leave worse for the wear and on the border of having a stroke. It's simply not worth it! So it's nice to affirm that that tiny piece of wisdom is not just made up in my brain but also something that was written into the Bible. Proverbs 23:9 says, "Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, For he will despise the wisdom of your words." Stop allowing your blood pressure to skyrocket as you must make your point. Sometimes we have to allow people to make their own mistakes (even our children). Sometimes people need to come to the same conclusions we have through a journey of their own trials and tribulations. Even sharing the Gospel should never become a battle of wills. The New Testament phrases it sweetly telling us not to "throw our pearls before swine" (Matt 7:6)--not to put what is most precious to us in the mud to be stomped on by others. We present the Gospel. We present what's important to us. Then we let it go and leave the rest up to God.

Today, be encouraged to practice letting go. Don't spin your wheels in conversations that are going nowhere.

Blessings,
MinD

No comments:

Post a Comment