Monday, March 16, 2015

DAY 27: Could You Have Done Better?

There are some people you encounter who make you feel as though there is nothing you could do right in their eyes. Some of you had parents or teachers like that. Some of you have bosses or mates like that. Some of you are like that. Every chance you get you point out the flaws in yourself or in others. It's become second nature. You may not even realize that you're doing it. In fact, it's easy to lose sight of how many times you pass a mirror and frown or how many times your focus has been drawn to what you could've done better instead of celebrating what you've done. It's enough to wear you down.

I was realizing recently that that CRITICAL SPIRIT takes a lot out of us. As I sat in a meeting the other day I realized I was being so critical; and those criticisms were not directed outward but instead were all about the conversation in my head. I managed to take everything that was being said as a personal indictment. I knew that I had fallen prey yet again to the tactics of the enemy to get me picking myself apart so he wouldn't have to. Every "we need to" from the other meeting participants translated through my critical filter sounded more like "you should have". At the end of the meeting, my heart was wounded all because of my own critique (and no one else's). I couldn't even blame it on the devil! I brought so much negativity my way that I made satan's work easy.


We struggle with those moments where we need to strike a delicate balance between finding points for improvement in our lives and being content with what God has done. I'm not suggesting that we can't set high standards for ourselves and others or be constructive in our feedback. However, we must always examine the motivation behind those standards and feedback. Do we feel like we have something to prove or are we genuinely seeking God's best for a given situation? When we point out the flaws in another, are we acting as 'iron sharpening iron' or are we nit-picking because they didn't do it the way we would have done it? Are we being hypocritical in wanting grace and mercy from others when we either don't give it to them and/or don't give it to ourselves? 

If you say more negative than positive about yourself and others, then what are you saying about God and His Creation? As the Author and Finisher of your life who does "all things well" (Isaiah 45:7) and who "fearfully" and "wonderfully" made you (Psalm 139:14), are you suggesting that He missed a step or failed? Can you presume to say better than He how you should have been made? Could you have done better? Certainly not. But every time that we utter negativity about ourselves/others, we presume just that and grieve the Lord. 

He holds us to high standards and expects us to live circumspectly before him, but he also gives us far more grace and mercy than we seem to be able to give ourselves. Though we know that criticism will come no matter what you do in life, what's important to remember is that we don't need to be the ones to deliver it...not even to ourselves. 

Today, I want to challenge you to do something you've probably not done in a while--look in the mirror and tell yourself three good things about yourself without any side notes about the opportunities for improvement...and/or, at the end of your day, write down three things that you accomplished without commentary about what still needs to be done or what could have been done better. Celebrate in this day. Rejoice in this day. Give God glory for THIS day and allow your soul to truly rest in the fact that you are a part of His marvelous works!

Blessings,
Pastor Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment