Wednesday, February 18, 2015

DAY 1 - Countering Contrariness

I just don't want to.

          It's just the way I am.

                    I'm grown.

                              I'm playing devil's advocate.

...Yeah...that last one there is the one that truly gives me pause. I mean who really wants to be the devil's advocate? In theory, not me! But, in reality, there are times though that I can admit that I just want to be...well...contrary. Like most human beings, I want what I want when I want it and sometimes that includes wanting to not let someone else have their way. (Stop looking at me like that. You know you do it too.) If we're telling the truth, we all do it. We get it honest. We want things a certain way just because we can or just to prove a point on "general principle". Like little children, we throw tantrums and our minds do serious battle with what we know to be good and just. Galatians 5:17 reminds us that "the flesh sets its desires against the Spirit". It ain't right, but it's real.

A couple of weeks ago I realized that I was just feeling like going the opposite direction of everything coming my way. I didn't act on all of my feelings but I was sure thinking in a negative tailspin: If people went left, I was in the mood to go right. If people said "run", I'd want to slow to a stop. And there was nothing that was moving me out of this funk except the Lord. You see, in the midst of my spiritual pouting session, the Lord drew my attention to what I was doing; and what looked back at me in that mirror was not a good look. The word CONTRARY kept flashing in my brain. It became a needle in my side that pierced every time my huffiness started to raise back up. How could I huff and puff when I thought about how graceful God has been with me. How could I have no patience with others or feel so annoyed with them when God continually works with me--though messy I may be.

There is no magic word or special pill that you can take to counteract the place that the pouting, contrary child has in your heart. The solution to contrariness lies in making a decision pure and simple. Today, you can pout like a little girl, or you can grow up--own your emotions and walk with self control. Be encouraged today to allow the needling of the Holy Spirit to convict you, call that contrary spirit what it is and pray for God to renew a RIGHT spirit in you.

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; 
according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions. 
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin... 
Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. 
Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit 
from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. 
(Psalm 51:1,2,10,11,12)

Blessings,
Pastor Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment