Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Next Step Only

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  (Matthew 6:34)

I've been trying to get in shape. Today's goal? Do at least 2 miles and jog most of that. I'm good at walking but I set a goal to amp up my jog-factor today and was determined to make that happen. It was a good day for it. The sun was hiding behind some clouds but it didn't look menacing, so I set out on my trek. About a half mile in, the clouds opened up and sprinkles began to fall. I knew it could get worse and thought that it may be a good idea to turn around while I was still somewhat dry. But I remembered my goal and kept going. And sure enough, the heavens decided to shower me with moist blessings just about the point where I turned around to head back home for the second half of my jog. The rain pelted in my face and I decided that the best way for me to make it (and not pull over and call someone to come get me) was to simply focus on my feet.

You see, when I looked ahead, the road seemed a bit ominous--like the end would not come soon enough. However, when I focused on my feet, all I was concerned about was the next step. Though the rain was pouring, I just needed to take the next step. Though the cars were wooshing buy angrily spitting more water in my face, it was all about the next step. Though my clothes began to cling to my curves in ways I wasn't trying to show the world, my focus was on the task at hand.

And the Lord spoke in the midst saying that, right now, that's what He needs me to do in my life. I spent the last few days getting frustrated about things I could only minimally control. I had begun to get overwhelmed by the larger task and that made me want to sit it out and do nothing (well except eat ice cream, that is). Today's lesson was about putting one step in front of the other. Sometimes we get so long-sighted...we are so focused on the big thing that's to come (the bills that need to be paid, the wedding we're planning, the house we're buying, the raise we want, the career move that's around the corner, the move we're making, etc.) that we fail to simply live in the moment. I know that God has shown me the ultimate goal, but today I can only be concerned about today. Today, I can only put one foot in front of the other. Today, despite what obstacles may come my way and despite whatever storm is brewing, I can only do what I can do.

Today, I encourage you to do what you can and leave the rest up to God. Today, focus on the task at hand and don't allow the ultimate goal to weigh you down. Get your mind right and focus.

Blessings,
PastorA

P.S. Don't forget that, if this said something to you, don't forget to "pay it forward" and send it along to a friend or family member who may just need a bit of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment