Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Faith = "Do It Scared"

For in it the righteousness of God is revealed 
from faith to faith; as it is written, 
“The just shall live by faith.” 
Romans 1:17

The other week, I got a chance to spend some wonderful "catch up" time with my friend Cassandra. I'm not a big phone girl, but every once and a while I get on these marathon chats with dear friends from near or far and really catch up on life. And as we chatted and testified one to another, she said something that stuck with me. She called what I'm going through and what she's going through by name. She said we are "doing it scared". 


Came across this painting by Herschberger that says it all
I haven't been able to shake her words. I told her then that I would steal it but in reality I just think that it's worth repeating. You see, both of us have had so many people ask us "how are you doing this?" People look at her incredulously as she explains that she's an older woman who has decided to go to medical school when most are deciding to retire. People look at me like I've lost my mind when I say that I'm not exactly sure what the next step is but that I just heard God say "go" so I'm doing it. It's an unnerving space to be in. Though fear sometimes tries to sneak in and steal a piece of my heart, I remind myself constantly that my faith must overpower it...that 'greater is He that is within me' (1 John 4:4). I described it as feeling like I'm floating through life with God alone as my safety net.

At the end of the day, there's no massive secret to this space we're in. You see, what it boils down to plain and simple 'ole faith. And I'm sure you're tired of hearing about it, but I can't preach/teach faith enough. It's more than a way to describe your religion...It's more than a principle, it's a lifestyle. You can't decide to embrace faith one day and shake it off the next day. Well you can but it doesn't do you much good. When you've really embedded yourself in faith and faith embedded itself in you, it means that you don't always understand what's ahead of you but it's alright. You don't always know where the resources are going to come from. You don't always know what people will stick around, who will go by the wayside, or who will resurface. You can't predict how it's all going to end. But WHEN GOD SAYS IT, YOU JUST DO IT anyway. Do it despite the fact that you don't understand and are shaking in your boots. Do it scared!

God will honor your faith. Be encouraged today to take that step closer towards Him despite your fears.

Blessings,
PastorA

P.S. If this spoke to you, praise God. If not...then perhaps it's for your friend so be a gem and forward it along. :) Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment