Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pursue The Promise

"Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away." Hebrews 2:1

Have you ever had one of those days where happiness seems elusive and one thing after another keeps coming your way to throw you off course and distract you. On those days, I find myself wishing that I had that "easy" button that Staples uses in their commercials. Today was so off that I decided to simply go home for fear that I remained too exposed to the possibilities of further trauma out on the streets.Unfortunately, the tests for the day did not end there. And as I closed out the evening frustrated and worn down, I thought back to conversations had throughout the day and realized that I had been living out the truth of the verse in Hebrews 2 that had caught my eye during my morning devotional. Verse 1 says that we must "earnestly" pay attention to the things we've heard. The writer of Hebrews is talking about salvation and our assurance in who Christ is in our lives. But I believe that it goes even beyond that. Sometimes you have to stand up for God's promise. You have to believe beyond your own understanding that what God said about our lives is true and be ready to fight for those truths on days when "easy" would be so much nicer (Philippians 3:14 calls it 'pressing towards the mark'). As you face the situations, people, conversations that push your buttons, remember to earnestly pursue God's truth for your life (the promise). Be encouraged as you press on and don't allow the enemy to get you fatigued. Take a moment, pray, regroup and then keep on pressing.

Blessings,
MinD

No comments:

Post a Comment