Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Trust Your Voice


When I was in high school, I was quite active in the drama department. One year, I tried out for our spring musical. I prepared my song with much angst and decided to try out for the chorus with the the thought that I couldn't possibly be able to carry a major role. Though I had been in choir and knew I could sing, somewhere in the back of my mind, teenage doubt began to seep in. I wondered if I would be good enough. The day of the audition, I was shaking in my boots. My anxiety reached new heights and it showed. As I sang my song, my nerves kicked in and I unintentionally sang the song one key higher than I had practiced. It wasn't flawless, but I finished it nonetheless.

The director and music director both looked at me, shaking their heads with smiles. I will never forget that they then asked me why I hadn't auditioned for one of the lead roles. I nervously admitted to my anxiety and the feeling of not being good enough. They shared with me that, with training and practice to get my nerves under wraps, I was more than capable of doing the job. I was cast in one of the lead roles and was understudy for the leading role. The play went off with flying colors, but it was more than just a play. It began the long journey of teaching me to trust my own voice and to trust the gifts God has given to me.

This lesson came back to mind recently as I was called upon to serve in a ministerial position that I'm less comfortable with than standard teaching/preaching--prophecy. Though I recognize this as a part of my calling and have accepted it as a gifting from the Lord, it is often easy for me to talk myself out of saying what "thus says the Lord" and insert myself into the picture (telling myself "Oh that's not really God, that's just me thinkin' something or other..."). However, this time I was tired of reverting back to the scared me and took the bull by the horns, praying God would grant me holy boldness to flow according to his will. I heard the Spirit remind me, "TRUST MY VOICE"peace. At the end of the day, I felt such a lightness. As I flowed in the giftings, a feeling that I can only describe as "right" or like coming home overtook me. As I flowed, there was genuine

How many times do we second guess ourselves and, consequently, second guess God? How many times does God have to tell us to flow boldly in Him? What is he telling YOU to do or say that you have been second guessing? Well don't even dwell on that. I'm here to remind you that you are good enough! Today is a new day. Today is the day you remember to be encouraged because the Holy Spirit in you will not lead you astray and only wants to fill you with "liberty". (II Corinthians 3:17) Today is the day to decide you will not revert to the old you and you will flow with confidence in the creation He has crafted. Today is the day that you must decide that 'greater is He that is in you' than even YOURSELF, your flesh and your doubts (1 John 4:4). Today is the day you must silence the voice of doubt in your mind and pursue Him with a fervor like none other. Today trust the voice of the Holy Spirit in you. I promise you that there is a reward of peace and joy on the other side of your obedience.

Blessings,
PastorA

No comments:

Post a Comment