Saturday, January 12, 2013

Help Is Here

Today, we (Lifted Hands Ministries) spent some time ministering to the homeless in our city with blankets and bibles. As we began to head out to our service site, I had some devotional time--preparing for all that God could and would do as we were obedient and served others for Him. I wanted God to prepare my heart as we were going to touch the lives of our forgotten neighbors. I found myself wondering what I could possibly impart into the life of someone I may encounter who was hopeless on this day. As I read, this verse in Hosea 13 jumped out at me:

 “O Israel, you are destroyed, But your help is from Me. I will be your King..." 
(Hosea 13:9-10a NKJV)  

But I realized as our day ended that, we are not unlike the people who we encountered on the street. Therefore, Hosea's words are not only relevant to them, but are also a word for us today. So many of us have been like the Children of Israel--asking for a "king" (that one thing that we want to save us or help us). We look everywhere but up when the time comes for us to tap into a source of help. In those times when we have reached rock bottom or when we feel forgotten, there's one thing that remains constant--God has promised to be your King. You thought you needed that job or that relationship or that child or that home or car, but God wants to remind you that He is willing and wanting to be your Source.

Just as it was for the homeless we encountered, it is my prayer today that you will turn to God alone to be your help and your King. Whatever your need or desire of your heart, He is truly capable and I promise He can be trusted to carry you through if you let Him. There are several people we met on the streets who I'm sure could cosign on that statement. For on a day when they were down and destroyed, the Lord sent someone with a reminder of His Word that help is in the way to wipe their brow, say a prayer or pass along the gift of His Word and warmth. And so I pass the same message along on to you.

Remember ...Help is here. Be encouraged and allow God to be your King.
Blessings,
MinD

No comments:

Post a Comment